Tuesday, December 09, 2008

homespun christmas.

For someone who is only slightly in the Christmas spirit this year, I have been questionably obsessed with creating ornaments and embracing the whole "vintage Christmas" mantra.

I know that it is rude and possibly bad luck to post pictures of gifts for others on your blog, but I was so charmed by a few that I created today-- I couldn't help but share.

My sister has two very handsome cats, who's names are Zip and Scout.
Today, I decided to print out a few copies of their faces and make some old-fashioned chenille stemmed figurines out of them-- and then just hook the top for a kitchy ornament to hang on their tree.


Zips party hat just makes me all happy inside.

These ornaments are so simple to make, you just need to purchase some chenille stems, cut and twist to make arms and legs-- or a tail. Use a photo of a loved pet-- or a favorite friend. Embellish with charms, ric rac, ribbon, or buttons!
.
About two years ago, I came across a blog with the cutest idea for ice skate ornaments made with large, sliver paperclips. (she even included a pattern to print out for the cutting.) I thought they were adorable, and just seemed right up my alley. Today I found out that they were quite easy too, I turned out about 8 in an hour!

Long, long ago-- when I was not much older than a year and a half old-- I made a special little baby Jesus ornament in Sunday school (nursery) which included a tiny plastic baby wrapped in gauze and nestled down in a Spanish moss filled egg crate cup. My mom still has the original, so we decided to replicate it.

I think they all turned out divine!
Not bad for an ol' Scrooge, eh?

And I know I promised a story about Jeff and the Trump plane, so gather round.

Jeff and his Captain had just flew into Laguardia airport in New York (or is it New Jersey?). After the family on board had taken the courtesy van to the airport, (they make them park way out there.) Jeff and the Captain started cleaning up the airplane. After a while, the power went out and they realized that something on the airplane had just broken and needed to be fixed. It was so cold that evening that they decided to drain the lav, and remove all of the beverages from the cabin because they didn't want anything to freeze in the night. After they had completed that, they called to find out if they could get a ride to the airport in the courtesy van-- just as they had called the Trump airplane pulled up right next to them. About 20 courtesy vehicles and a cop made their way to the Trump plane and back to the airport, still leaving Jeff and his Captain behind! It took forever for them to catch a ride, since Trump was top priority and they had to wait forever in a freezing cold airplane. Poor guy!

19 comments:

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Awesome ornaments! I love the cats and those skates!

That story is hilarious! Your poor hubby...did he get a glimpse of Trump?

Elena said...

Nice treatment to the lowly little pilots eh? I absolutely adore the skates. I have mine proudly hung on my tree and Halle is so inspired by this post that she's downstairs crafting away at something as I type.

hoLLy said...

the cats made me pee a little.

no, really though, VERY cute ornaments:) you are always quite the creative one! and what a cool trump story, well, maybe not cool to jeff at the time(with having to wait and all), but cool now, right?

Laura said...

Being a cat lover, those are too adorable - they remind me of the little elves with the silver balls for heads! And the skates are too cute!

Tara Bennett said...

I LOVE the skates! TOO cute!

Saucy said...

I guess Trump comes by his name honestly... he trumps over everyone else.

Tamie said...

very cute ornaments...and i really like the skates...those would be cute to tie on with goodies for neighbors....now you got me thinking!
did jeff actually SEE trump? now that was an interesting experience, i'm sure. i guess that no one is as important as trump

SarahJarnagin said...

I am very into vintage Christmas this year! Love your blog! You are so creative with your posts... makes it very interesting and fun to follow!

SarahJarnagin said...

I also love your music. :)

Amanda Cutler said...

LOVE THE CATS!!! Can't wait to hang them on our tree... but the cats themselves will probably take them off and play with them! hehe

Anonymous said...

The cat ornaments are SOOO cute!! I want some!! Wouldn't Crick, Pookie, Cleo and Mokie be perfect for these Emily?? Hint, hint!!!
(This is a serious hint...haaa)

Emily said...

MOM-- have dad e-mail me face photos. I got Amanda's off her blog! I asked Amanda for some, but she has not sent me any yet!! Don't worry, it was in the plan.

-Melissa- said...

I love the skates!

Emily S. said...

aww, bummer about the Trump crap, and bummer about the mild Scrooginess (though I am kinda right with you there... *sigh*)

but LOVE the kitsch!! :)

Miki said...

Jeff's run in with the Trumpster is no surprise I guess. He's true to his nature....self indulged. Nobody else exists.

Does he know who Jeff's wife is? HMMMMM? Does Mr. Trumpster know she has a blog???

He's in trouble now....sure trouble.from.all.of.us.crafty..home bodied bloggers.

trouble.

Rhea said...

Trump and his grandness. He cracks me up. He's such a dork, but you have to admire his tenacity.

Hanah said...

I LOVE your baby Jesus ornament idea!! This year I really feel the true meaning of Christmas, and think that fits just perfectly for our family idea!! Where did you find the little babies? All of the ornaments are soo darling!!

Your poor hubby!! I wonder if the security would have gone bezerk, if they had ventured out of their plane to ask to catch a ride on one of Trump's many vans. Really, how many does one person need?

Emily said...

Hanah, I found the babies at a cake supply shop... but I am sure that a JoAnns or Michaels would have them... maybe??

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Emily,
I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Parenting Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com