Wednesday, December 10, 2008

i looked out the window, and what did I see?

Jeff is so clever!
He may not look it, but he really has some pretty crafty ideas. (He is the person who picked out the wall color in the living room, kitchen, and dining room.) Last month, while cruising through World Market, he threw out the idea of giving out fancy popcorn in snappy red and white boxes instead of the traditional Christmas cookie.
I added the green ribbon, and voila! Now, that's what I call teamwork.


Today, I popped--
and I popped--
and I popped--
12 bags of microwave popcorn! (Ben helped me with that, he thought he was so special.)
I borrowed a fancy little recipe from my friend Kirstin which I can now recite from heart since I had to whip up 8 batches in a row.
With our buttery hands, Ben and I stuffed the 20 boxes and tied each one:
(where is Jeff now?!)

I loved the spunky play on:
And, as if that were not enough-- I spent my afternoon crafting homemade picture tags lined with silver glitter and mounted on gold paper. Okay-- enough is enough!
And now, I am heading to bed at 7:30. Night-night.
(not-so) Fancy Christmas Corn
3 quarts (or 12 cups) of popped popcorn
1 C sugar
1/2 C butter (one stick)
1/4 light corn syrup
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t vanilla
food coloring optional
Combine sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, let it boil for 2 minutes until golden in color. Stir in baking soda and vanilla (and food coloring if desired). Pour over popcorn and mix. Lay out on a baking sheet to let cool. Break apart into pieces and enjoy.

39 comments:

Carrie said...

Yum! That reminds of a movie theatre my Dad would take me to when I was little. They had a stand with all different flavor coated popcorn. I would get to get a small order and always had trouble deciding which color I wanted.

Brian and Staci said...

Mmmmm! Maybe the boys could make this with their Mimi on Friday night! (Brian and I are skipping out to a little Christmas party!) I think your's turned out super cute :) I hope you get some much needed rest :)

Beth said...

How fun! You are amazing. I wish I had HALF of what you got goin' on!!

Jeff is sucha clever one!

Susie said...

Very cool idea:-)

Sara said...

That is a very cute gift! I love carmel corn, but it always takes so long, I never do it

Tracy P. said...

Oh it's never too late for the cookie exchange, and since I'm totally an outside the box kind of person, I really think you should put this idea (although it's IN a box) on Mr. Linky. Several people said they planned to stop back before they bake a little later!

Emily said...

You really went the extra mile. I bought plastic popcorn containers at Target and put a couple of bags of microwave popcorn in them, tied a ribbon and tag around them and voila I was done. Yours look so great!

Brindi said...

What a cute idea!

I can't tell you how much I love your Christmas playlist. I teach school and I've been playing your list through my computer for the students. They aren't familiar with some of the songs, so it has been fun! We played a partner switch activity today to Tom Petty!

Anonymous said...

Love that idea!

mamapickle said...

fabulous idea!

Laura said...

Clever, colorful, cute, and sounds yummy! And hard not to munch while you make it!

Tracy P. said...

Oh yea, you did it! Have you ever made cake balls? Because #13 Jenna C. put the most incredible recipe for them on Mr. Linky. Endless possibilities, I tell you! You could do amazing things with them.

Unknown said...

What a great idea. Love it. I will totally have to try this!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I LOVE this and am going to make it. I was wondering though, where did you get the popcorn boxes? Thanks.

Rebecca

Gidget Girl Reading said...

really cute idea!

Ashley said...

OMG! This is possibly the best idea for all of those little gifts I've seen yet! I wonder, too, where you get the boxes?

Jennifer said...

little momma, this is the cutest christmas idea... eva! You rock, woman.

Ditto the other commentors- where'd you get the boxes???

Thanks for sharing your fab idea! =)

Emily said...

Boxes= Cost Plus World Market.

http://www.worldmarket.com/home.jsp


THANKS!

Sandy said...

This is a wonderful idea:) How cute!

Tamie said...

that really is a cute idea...very clever jeff!
i'm gonna be making some of our cruncy caramel popcorn to go out in treat bags this monday...we're getting together with a few others families for FHE pizza dinner and caroling...yummy, yum--now you've got me in the mood :)

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful presentation of a yummy treat! What nostaligia!

Unknown said...

P.S. Love your groovy Christmas music!

Aubrey said...

what an awesome idea! i've never hear dof world market, but I have a feeling i wish we had one here. i love that ribbon.

Elena said...

Oh how I miss living near Cost Plus. I LOVED that place at Christmas time. Popcorn is a great gift. I once gave white chocolate covered popcorn. Seriously so good. (Although I know you're not a white choc. fan.)

Tami said...

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood
A beautiful day for a neighbor
Emily, would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood
A neighborly day for a beauty
Emily, would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you

So, let's make the most of this beautiful day
Since we're together we might as well say
Would you be mine, could you be mine
Won't you be my neighbor
Won't you please, won't you please
Please won't you be my neighbor?

...okay, so my point, is I wish I had a neighbor like you. :)

-Melissa- said...

what a cute idea. I can't wait to try the popcorn recipe. Thanks!

Kelley said...

Time consuming but SO worth it.

Emily S. said...

oh, yeah! My kind of project! Love the retro look, the colors are perfect, and the best part? SWEET popcorn! Down with BUTTERY junk. Up with SWEET popcorn!!

Yay!

angela | the painted house said...

Okay, you and Jeff need a HGTV show. Totally adorable gift.

Miki said...

I thought about you this WHOLE time!! I KNEW you were doing so many fun Christmas things that I was just missing out on!!!

I WAS missing out...but am SO happy to be blogging away and catching up. This is such a fun idea, and I bet you felt so good handing them out.

How fun. Of couse I took the recipe...so easy. Thank you Emily! (Oh, and Jeff).

the duchess said...

Heidy-ho, neighbor! Thanks so much for the fabulous popcorn. It was so nice to have a homemade, sweet/salty treat on my doorstep! A certain person, who had dental work done yesterday, was consuming it in a vigorous fashion. I had to fight for my fair share, but you didn't hear it from me. ;o) Glad we have the recipe now.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Cut popcorn gift idea! I love the green polka dot ribbon! Your blog is great! I will have to try out your recipe. Thanks!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh SO cool and awesome!!!!!! Your husband is ALMOST as awesome as you are :) But really, what a great idea.

Rhea said...

What a really cute idea!! Love it.

Ashley said...

...popcorn popping on the apricot tree.

Jenni said...

I love your clever popcorn boxes. I hand out cocoa mix and homemade marshmallows with peppermint sticks tied on. We will be making those this week.

Mary Beth said...

I love this. Usually caramel corn has to e baked. This doesn't. Easy is the key for my not so sweet culinary skills. :-) Thanks. And I like the food coloring. I have made it with dry jello for color... but I prefer the caramel sweet to the jello sweet.

Lollidale Farm said...

What a great idea! Super cute and yummy, too!

Anonymous said...

Found you via SITS.
Super cute idea.. Love the boxes and ribbon!